- About Us
Contact & Directions
From farmland to final resting place, Roseland Park Cemetery in many ways is intricately entwined with the history of Berkley. The land on which the cemetery now sits was originally farmed by Native American tribes for corn and squash. In the mid-1800s, John Benjamin and his son John Jr. purchased the land and erected a two-story structure in which they produced the Benjamin Muley Grain Cradle. This device, combining the sickle with a cradle to separate wheat from the chaff, enabled farmers to quadruple their yield.
In 1906, a group of forward-thinking businessmen who anticipated population expansion northward from Detroit founded Roseland Park Cemetery. A stock purchase converted the north section of the Cromie Dairy Farm on Twelve Mile Road from cattle pasture to graveyard.
Although John Tuttle was the first person buried here in 1908, Roseland Park was officially dedicated in June of 1910. More than 1,000 people attended, including the mayors of Detroit and Pontiac. Poet Edgar Guest read a poem he had written for the ceremony.